Back To The Roots ! Yoga, surf, relax & good company
Yoga on the Atlantic – back to basics for us. Uli, a German surfing legend and now a long-standing acquaintance, has been running the Atlantic Surf Lodge in Vieux Boucau for decades. It was here that we spent our Whitsun holidays with our children 15 years ago. Here, we celebrate “Life is simple and beautiful”, a bit of “Hang lose” of course – being together, moving, laughing, eating good food, surfing (or just watching). We love it and want to share it with you. Life is beautiful!
The Atlantic Surf Lodge is a large house located in a quiet residential area, ten minutes by bike from the beach and the village centre (bonus: everyone gets a bike for the whole week, so you can be completely independent). Here, surfing has pride of place, and we can’t recommend that you take surfing lessons! I’ll come to the beach with you and I’ll get in the water with you, I promise!
As I limit the number of participants to 15-20 people, we won’t be the only guests – the house is also open to Atlantic lovers who have nothing to do with my retreat. That’s why it’s possible to bring friends or partners who don’t want to take a yoga class and would rather concentrate on surfing or ‘savoir-vivre’.
We practice yoga exclusively outdoors – in the morning on the beach, in the late afternoon in the garden. In all, I give ten yoga sessions (a day’s break is ideal for a longer excursion), in the morning 90 to 120 minutes of vinyasa yoga and meditation by the sea, in the late afternoon 75 to 90 minutes of yin yoga in the garden (i.e. for the morning ride to the sea, you must know AND want to cycle, there’s nothing to do) and I’m of course also available during the day to answer any questions about yoga and what surrounds it. Perhaps you’d like to take part in a new YOGAMOUR video? We’ll certainly be filming one!
If it rains, Uli frees up his little surf coach lesson room for us; I haven’t managed to persuade him to spontaneously lay parquet, paint in sandy beige, hang mandalas and put up candles ;), but in an emergency, this room works too. Back to basics! Bring some Zwiebellook clothes. We’ve already had 25 degrees here in June, and sometimes only 11 degrees.
Warning: for those of you who are used to 4-star accommodation and need a lot of space within your own four walls – you’ve come to the wrong place. Life is lived in the pleasant inner courtyard (where we brunch and dine) or, for those who prefer peace and quiet and need some free time, in the lodge’s large, well-kept garden. The bedrooms are made for sleeping, so those who book a cheap bed in a multi-bedded room are advised to bring Oropax. And those who saw logs at night might still invest in a single room for their own sake ;). When it rains, we get creative and go for wet walks on the beach or afternoons of wild play in the big lounge, or lounge on the sofa, backs solid, telling each other exciting stories from our lives!
8th to 15th June 2024
Prices from €800.00 for a shared room and €1170.00 for a double room (prices include food, accommodation and yoga). For double rooms for individual use, please contact us.
- The nearest train station is Dax, the nearest airport is Biarritz (pick-up service can be booked and paid for with Uli).
- If you rent a car, you can also fly to Bilbao (Spain) and drive yourself.
Of course, you can also come by car; it’s about a 16-hour drive from Munich.
- The first yoga class takes place on Sunday morning before breakfast (by the sea).
- Cycling is included in the price
- An excursion to Biarritz or San Sebastian can be arranged on site at an additional cost.
- The brunch buffet is so large that hungry mouths can absolutely prepare a baguette for lunch and take it away for the day.
- Vegetarians and vegans will find everything to their liking, and anyone with food intolerances should let Uli know.
Included in the price :
- Ten hours of yoga in total
- Dinner on the day of arrival, followed by brunch in the morning and dinner in the evening every day except one evening (Chef’s Night Off).
- Use of bicycle (all the time)
- Bed and bed linen (please note: bring your own towels or hire them for a fee, €5 for a large beach towel and a shower towel for the whole week)
- Shared use of the lounge, garden, courtyard and play areas
Not included in the price :
- Travel (to be arranged by you)
- Towels (hire 2 towels for 5 euros; one for the bathroom, one for the beach)
- Dinner (one evening is Chef’s Night Off and there is no dinner; yoga classes are also cancelled on this day)
- Lunch (it is possible to prepare your own packed lunch for brunch)
- Surfing lessons (can be booked with Uli, we highly recommend it!)
Here’s what a typical day (probably) looks like:
8.00 Vinyasa Yoga and meditation on the beach
10:00 Brunch (baguettes included)
Lunch: two hours of surf lessons (if booked)
Free time for the beach, surfing, walking, cycling, relaxing in the garden, etc.
16:30 Yin Yoga and meditation
Open late evening
One evening during the week, the cook has the night off, which means that you take care of your own dinner at your own expense in the village. We can do this as a group or, for those who wish, on their own initiative.
Check-out is on Saturday 15 June 2024 and rooms must be vacated by 10am. The brunch and farewell time will of course remain convivial!